Thursday, September 15, 2005

Land of Oz or Twilight Zone, which do you choose?

I recently took a trip to New York City. I had never been there before and found it to be quite amazing. Coming from Los Angeles, where everyone drives and rarely has personal contact with one another, it became immediately apparent to me that in New York people interact with one another and this creates connection, an inner connection.

People in New York make eye contact with me. They smile and say good morning or good evening. Almost everywhere I visited, the people were happy and helpful. It appears that they are engaging in life in this city that is filled with so much energy and many opportunities. Isn't that what life is about, making contact with others? Sharing insights and having conversations?

While visiting Central Park, I took notice that there were many families out picnicking, playing with their children. They took advantage of the valuable time together. Many other people were sunbathing, reading a book and just relaxing. All of this in a city with the energy so high that I could feel it when I walked outside and yet these people knew the importance of "quality time".

My experience in Los Angeles is much different. If I say good morning or hello to a stranger they usually stare at me as if I am nuts, or that I want something from them. In Los Angeles, people are all in metal boxes (cars), in a hurry to get from one place to another. Rarely do drivers even take note of one another; only if the person driving in front of them is driving too slowly or if they have been cut off by a driver who is in a bigger hurry then they are do they take notice. Upon this instant, they usually are passing judgment on this unknown person to them. Most drivers only see other cars not the important people that are driving them.

Most parks in Los Angeles are not gathering places for friends and families but rather for the drug dealers and the homeless. Many parks that are still used for picnicking and soccer or softball games, but the majority of socializing is done at one another’s homes where everyone knows each other and there is little chance of meeting new people. This will keep their safe circle of friends in tack not allowing others to infiltrate the inner circle.

In New York, people are open and pleased to meet a new person, inviting me into their conversation quickly. A stranger did not threaten them. I felt welcomed immediately. During this exciting trip, I have made several new friends that I now can keep in touch with through the modern technology of email. I have opened my inner circle to include them in my life. For me this is what life is all about, meeting new people, sharing our stories, experiences and growing in the process. In the song, “For Good” (from the musical Wicked), the first lines read: “I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn. And we are lead to those who help us most to grow, if we let them and we help them in return.”
Whom are you letting into your life today? Whom are you helping to grow? Whom are you allowing to help you to grow?

Upon my return to Los Angeles, I notice even more just how distant we are to one another. The other morning as I was driving in my metal box, going to work, I made eye contact with the human being in their metal box beside me – I smile and mouthed “Good Morning” – Their response is saddening to my heart, as they pretended not to see me at all, and speed away down the freeway of life. They decided to miss another opportunity to connect, to grow, to experience something new.

I am making the decision to stay connected, inviting new experiences into my life and continue my path of teaching others that IT is available to all of us. What is “IT” you ask? IT is Love and can be shared easily with each person you come into contact with by a simple smile or saying hello. Even if they make the choice not to respond, know you have just given a great gift to the world. Who would have thought that I had to travel 2700 miles away, to a city that in our recent past came together in Love during a very tragic time, in order to learn this lesson.

I feel as though I took a trip to the Land of Oz (NYC) and experienced life to its fullest. Now once again I am returned to the Twilight Zone (LA), where no one wants to adjust their “TV sets”, for they are perfectly content with living unconnected to each other, to life and filled with emptiness. However, I have experienced more. I now know the true possibilities that I previously only dreamt of …are real!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think what you're saying is true of L.A. in general, but even though it's growing rapidly into an urban area, I feel the Antelope Valley (Palmdale and Lancaster) still have their friendliness - the same kind atmosphere I noticed right away when moving here from Miami over eight years ago.

Anonymous said...

I happen to resonate with what you're saying. When I'm out in public, I always find it refreshing when people are comfortable enough to really interact with you. I think it's true that this is not as common in the LA area as it is in other parts of the world, and I wish that wasn't the case.

My challenge seems to be seeing EVERYTHING as spirit - the courteous, friendly people, as well as the isolated, self-involved people. Both are expressions of the same thing - one way of behaving is not more "divine" or "right" than the other.

Nice blog,
Walker